Sunday, August 24, 2008

Donut Disaster

last night, john and i were watching the food channel on tv and saw a show about donuts. during the show, i totally started to crave donuts and i love donuts, so john suggested that we try to make some. we looked up a recipe to home made donuts and some glaze and decided to make some. big mistake and mess. first of all, after i made the dough, it raised for 30 min, at least it was suppose to. it didn't raise at all and it was very sticky, not even workable. and this upset me because i know how to make dough and stuff and it just did not work. anyway, i still wanted to continue cooking so john helped me fry the donuts and i made the glaze.
at first, the oil was to hot and the donuts fried up in seconds and were very dark.  we thought they would still be okay until we opened them up and the inside was all doughy. so here is the pile of practice donuts that we made until we figured out how cooled off to let the oil get and how thin the dough should be. yucky, i know
this is the counter with the sticky sticky dough that we had to cover in flour in order to even work with
after lots of practice we finally managed to cook some donuts the right way. and this was a "circled" donut i formed
here is the glaze that was the only thing that tasted great and was made correctly the first time
after being in the kitchen for over an hour, we managed to fully cook and glaze some donuts that were edible
and finally, after a long wait, the kids were able to enjoy the few donuts holes we made and they did enjoy eating them

i must say, i did eat some donuts and they were good but i will not be making any more home made donuts any time soon

11 comments:

Wilson Family said...

oh kim...donuts are one of my favorite foods!!! one halloween a few years ago i thought it would be so fun to make donuts after trick or treating. oh my gosh!!! it was a disaster and i was so disappointed and needless to say i haven't tried since. guess its just one of those yummy treats you can only buy! glad to hear it wasn't just me!!!

Becca said...

How funny! I remember making donuts as a kid with the fam, and Anny, Kass, and I talked about doing it here a few weeks ago, but didn't get to it. Maybe it was a good thing. Something that seems so easy, may not be so:) I'm glad there were a few that turned out for the kids to eat.

Laura said...

I have to say I have never tried donuts. Your right they don't look appealing at all. I am glad that a few turned out even though it was a disaster to make them. Troy and I have done that before but not with donuts.

Kass said...

Ha Ha! I have been craving homemade donuts for weeks now. . . but you may have helped my craving. lol Good job just going for it & "sticking" with it until you got some edible ones. Miss ya!

Kim and Nathan said...

That seems like something that would happen to me and not you:) At least some turned out. I hope everything is still going good.

Anny said...

I'm laughing so hard! We really were going to attempt homemade donuts and I'm glad you showed us the light! Sometimes it doesn't matter what it is, when you crave it you just want it, no matter how hard it is. The ones that turned out look edible, I would have tried one. You earn an "A" for everything!

Zman said...

That is so funny. I'm glad some turned out ok. lol. At least you tried and did the best you could. I wonder how they make those perfect donuts.

hdawgy said...

Wow that's funny! I give you props for attempting to make donuts! I would've just made Clifford go to a donut shop and get some! I'm glad you fulfilled your donut craving though! I love the food network channel!

Gates & Tausha said...

hahaha...i love the pile of weirdie donuts!!! hahha...but i bet those end ones were DELISH!!! i love dons

MEANDERINGS OF JANICE said...

Here I go again looking back to when I grew up! My mother, your great grandmother, was the best donut maker in Swea City!! Those were the days before store bought ones. She was a well known cook in the area. We made donuts when your mom was young, too. So try it again, it may just work out better next time, O.K.?

Jessica said...

At school my roommate was from Idaho so we went to her house all the time to make homemade donuts. It looked so easy so i thought i would try it sometime. Obviously she has been making them for a very long time cuz you're a better cook than i am and if you could barely manage some edible ones... who knows what i would damage in the process! :) love ya, and can't wait to see you!!!